For the last couple of years we have run a Parent’s Group on a Friday. Although the word ‘parent’ is in the title, you do not have to be one to attend – just as long as you’re from the area and fancy coming along and socialising.
We try to have an activity every week, examples include:
- Jewellery Making
- Glass Painting
- Trips out – Botanics, shopping, breakfast outing
- AGM preparation for afternoon tea
We also have introduced more issue based sessions that may be helpful for parents and carers. These have included:
- Training with North Edinburgh Childcare
- Self Defence
- Changes to The Welfare Reform Act
- Sexual Health & Relationships
- Working for Families
- Drug and Alcohol Awareness
By building relationships with more parents we have seen an increase in the members volunteering and joining our board. The group meet every Friday between 10am and midday. We do not have a crèche so parents of under-5’s need to supervise their children (Sorry – no school children allowed).
Why not come along for a bacon butty and a cuppa?